These shifts include:
• Balancing Informational and Literary Text
• Integrating Literacy Knowledge in the Disciplines
• Increasing Text Complexity
• Providing Text Based Answers
• Writing for Argument (Opinion), Not Persuasion
• Building Academic Vocabulary
The links below provide information for teachers and parents about the ELA shifts. The first video discusses the ELA shifts while the second video is tailored for parents in reference to the shifts. Similar math videos are in production. The last one is the SC Department of Education family-friendly guide to SC Academic Standards.