A panel of women in the STEM fields spoke to the sixth graders in Team One and all ESOL students. Since statistics reveal these areas are vastly underrepresented in women, and many of our female students are talented and gifted in these areas; the goal was to bring awareness for exploration in the STEM fields.
Among our team of 6th graders and ESOL students, several parents, teachers and administrators heard presentations from women who serve as presidents of colleges, directors of math & science collegiate programs, engineers, biotechnologists, physicians, and computer programmers.
Our guest panelists were:
· Cherlyn G. Anderson (Education Specialist with S²TEM)
· Dr. Davis, Pediatrician, (Eau Claire Cooperative Health Centers, Inc.)
· Elizabeth Dinndorf, President, (Columbia College)
· Deepali Gokhale, IT entrepreneur (infoCyper,)
· Dr. Susan Lessner (Biomedical Engineer-USC Medical School)
· Dr. Nieves McNulty, Mathematics & Computer Science, (Columbia College)
· Brittany Shank, (Engineer-SCANA)
· Tishana Trainor, Filemaker Development and Drupal Development (infoCyper)
· Dr. Yow, Assistant Professor-Mathematics (University of South Carolina)
The event was coordinated by Shamone Claxton, Iris Nelson and Shanita York.